As I shuffled the cards to select this week's Intuitive Tuesday tarot card, I said, "Tell me what messages I need to bring to my readers this week." I selected the Nine of Wands (reversed) from the Gateway to the Divine Tarot deck by Ciro Marchetti.
Can you feel the overwhelm in the picture on this card? The man leans forward on his wand that is pressing into the ground. It's as though he barely has enough energy to hold his head up and doesn't have the strength to go on.
In Marchetti's book that accompanies these cards, Legacy of the Divine Tarot, he gives the following descriptive words for the Nine of Wands (reversed): "Unprepared, scattered, ill health, weakness of character."
Do you feel this way? Have you just about had enough? Are you under the weather or possibly feel as though your defenses are down? If so, that is the energy of the Nine of Wands (reversed).
When I feel this way, it tends to compound on itself, like a downward spiral. I can intellectually know that things will get better, that this will pass, that a good night's sleep (or chocolate) will help -- and all of that is true -- but when the Nine of Wands (reversed) is present in your life, sometimes it's hard to believe.
Even though it can be overwhelming, know that you have all of the resources you need to turn this card (and its energy) right-side-up.
In its upright position, the Nine of Wands means that you are able to stand your ground, stand up for yourself, not take things personally, and feel like you will make it through anything that comes your way.
How can you make this energy shift? Know that it's not an exact recipe (because it changes with each situation), but here are some of the ingredients. Your job is to discover which ingredients feel right to you and then determine how to put it together to make the energy switch.
Note: you may also have some ingredients that you add on your own to make this shift. If so, please feel free to use and share with the rest of us.
Some of the ingredients for turning the Nine of Wands (reversed) back into its upright position include:
- Get a good night's sleep or take a nap. Sleep (and time) can act like a re-set button.
- Focus on having patience and give things time to work out. Even if things look and feel terrible now, remember that this is just a slice of the story. It's not over yet, so be in the moment and allow things to be as they are, knowing that they will change (maybe not soon enough, but they will change).
- Find a way to maintain your faith in the universe that things truly are in order (even if it feels messy right now) and ground your energy (re-connect to mother earth). This might include praying, pulling tarot cards, writing in your journal, meditating, visualizing, talking with a good friend, taking a walk in nature, etc.
- Visualize the changes you'd like to see. Don't get stuck on the HOW, but focus on the vision of WHAT you want to bring about. Be specific with what it is that you want and then allow the universe to figure out HOW. It's too hard to mastermind and control everything in your life, so why exhaust yourself trying?
- Instead of wasting your energy on what is wrong, focus on what is right (even if you have to be creative). For example, if your boss is making you crazy, maybe you can be thankful for him giving you the motivation to find a new job!
- For clients who experience uncomfortable feelings with any of the tarot cards, I ask them directly, "Are you ready to switch this energy?" If not, we talk about what's keeping them stuck and go from there. If they ARE ready to switch, I have them say it out loud, with confidence and conviction. "I am ready for things to change. I am asking for things to change. I pray things will change. I am grateful as I find patience while things change." It's amazing how powerful this can be.
- Connect with someone who cares, who will keep your confidence, and someone who loves you. Let this person know that you are not expecting him or her to solve your issue, but to simply listen, love you and have compassion for where you are now. Know too that he or she may use these same qualities to kick you in the butt in an effort to help you to move forward (tough -- yet effective -- love).
The beauty of selecting the Nine of Wands (reversed) card today and connecting here with the other Wild Women of the Universe readers, is knowing that you are not alone. We have all felt this energy, may still be feeling it now...but at least we have the support of fellow travelers on the (sometimes difficult) path of life.