|Me and the boys walking to Times Square|
I recently attended BlogHer 2010 in New York City (which was very cool) AND my family got to come with me.
BlogHer is a blogging conference where hundreds of bloggers meet to share best practices, learn new strategies and techniques, and meet old friends face-to-face, sometimes for the first time.
I visited The Big Apple in 1993 (and even toured the observation deck in one of the Twin Towers), but my DH, Tom, and the boys had never been there.
We had reservations at one of the YMCA facilities, but after two nights we found that being split into two rooms with uncomfortably hard twin beds, the community bathrooms (which reminded me of my college dormitory -- except for messier and smaller), and the pool being unavailable most of the time, prompted us to see what else was available (within a certain price range).
For less than $20 per night additional, we found a nice hotel that had a room that would fit all five of us, a pool on the penthouse floor, and was still centrally located. Checking out of the Y and into the hotel was a Perfect Moment in and of itself.
In fact, the week was FULL of Perfect Moments. Here are just a few:
|Looking Up at the Empire State Building|
- When my sister, Lavender Luz (aka Lori Holden), and I registered for the conference, we were greeted by a poster that featured her blog, Weebles Wobblog, as one of the top ten Must Read Mom Bloggers in Parenting Magazine. Sitting on the counter were advanced copies of the magazine that included Luz's photo and a post she had written specifically for the magazine. Wow!
- Seeing my family enjoy the big city was a collection of Perfect Moments. Learning how to navigate the subway system was an adventure. We had several very nice New Yorkers stop to help us out. We saw interesting people in the subway system and figured out how to get everywhere we wanted to go in the city (without taking a cab).
- We enjoyed several attractions including the Empire State Building, a city bus tour, a ferry tour that took us near the Statue of Liberty, Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum, Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum, and several nights of Sushi (among other great attractions and delicious dining).
- My hubby and I ran in Central Park (beautiful) and along the Hudson River shore trail. Even though it was very hot and humid, it was great running in the city, not to mention the benefits of running at sea level!
- The SURPRISE of the trip was getting tickets for the NY Yankees vs. Red Sox game. You see, our sons LOVE the Yankees. My sister's family members (who were also in NY), are die-hard Red Sox fans. The Not So Perfect Moment (for the boys) was that the Red Sox won that game, but they got to see a great night of baseball (and the Yankees won the next two games of the series).
|Me and Whoopie at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum|
Our New York trip was Perfect all the way around!
If you'd like to check out more Perfect Moment Mondays go to Weebles Wobblog by clicking here.